Pages

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Jamaica No Problem

“The people who influence us most are not those who buttonhole us and talk to us, but those who live their lives like the stars in heaven and the lilies in the field, perfectly simply and unaffectedly. Those are the lives that mold” This quote of one of my favorite authors, Oswald Chambers, I believe applies really well to my experience in Jamaica. Though the trip was totally beneficial for me, I struggled knowing whether or not I was really making a difference in the lives of others there that we came across. I'll begin with saying that God is truly gracious and amazing. He provided and protected, he gave us opportunities to reach out to the staff in our hotel and strangers, children and teachers, pastors and friends and also oppurtunities to encourage fellow Christians. I remember feeling overwhelming joy as I glimpsed around the corner of a school building and saw our Pastor praying with a few people who wanted to receive salvation. I won't forget the time we looked into one of the containers at a school and found Trinity Church boxes of food. Ones that were supposed to go to Haiti. I even made a friend from Jamaica while I was there. Jonesy, the man who drove us all over the place in the bus, had brought along his step-grandson, Tahjae Thomas. We were pretty surprised to see this young guy. Seated by himself, he was quiet and soft-spoken. I was curious and so I began asking Tahjae questions and soon we were in a deep conversation ranging from cars and instruments, to family and religion. This was one of our days traveling to schools in the country and believe me there was a LOT of traveling. So we talked all day. The first fifteen minutes I could hardly understand Tahjae but I think after the fourth time, I had just nodded my headed to whatever he was saying he started to talk more clearly for me. Tahjae is twelve years old, his parents separated, his relationship with Christ extending only as far as baptism is concerned. He loves music, he makes his own drums and guitars out of nature and he wants to be a race car driver when he grows up. I could see the mirth and joy in his eyes whenever he joked, which was quite a bit. I also felt his sadness when he told me the story of the death of one of his siblings. He even taught me a little how to talk as he does. It was really enriching for me, to get to know him and I hoped he would be on the bus the next day. I never saw him again. It was the same with the school kids we visited each day. I wanted to be able to pour all I could into every individual child's life but how could I? I never saw them again. Yet, it enriched me. Did it enrich them? Did I somehow show them some partial resemblance to Christ I could muster in the very little time we had? Would they remember that Christ sent us, Christ loved them and that He had plans for them? When I was alone I kept asking God, what was going to happen to all these kids? To Tahjae? But as it continued to break my heart, I sought Christ out. Would he use us to pour his blessings on them? To plant seeds? I opened my Bible and I came back to a verse I had memorized probably eight years ago and had forgotten. "For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven, And do not return there without watering the earth And making it bear and sprout, And furnishing seed to the sower and bread to the eater; So will My word be which goes forth from My mouth; It will not return to Me empty, Without accomplishing what I desire, And without succeeding in the matter for which I sent it. Isaiah 55:10, 11. And then, praying that passage in Deuteronomy, “God, Let my teaching from you fall like rain and my words descend like dew, like showers on new grass, like abundant rain on tender plants,” I was at peace. It's only Christ that can do such a thing and do it through us. I know I'll carry this with me when I'm on the mission field and when I am back in my hometown. Where ever we are, God's voice is there and I can only thank Him for the privilege it is to carry it with me where ever I go, singing his Glory for all to hear.

May he rule from sea to sea

  and from the River to the ends of the earth.

May his name endure forever;
    may it continue as long as the sun.
Then all nations will be blessed through him,
    and they will call him blessed.
For he will deliver the needy who cry out, the afflicted who have no one to help.
He will take pity on the weak and the needy and save the needy from death.
He will rescue them from oppression and violence, for precious is their blood in his sight.


Praise be to the Lord God, the God of Israel,
    who alone does marvelous deeds.
19 Praise be to his glorious name forever;    may the whole earth be filled with his glory”













Me and Tahjae














No comments:

Post a Comment