Pages

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Wishing Leaves

Who doesn't love fall? There are so many great things about the autumn season...scarves, stockings, boots, pumpkin lattes, fall  break, thanksgiving, colorful trees, jumping in leaf piles(forget the raking part) relief from the hot summer, cooler jogs through the neighborhood, the list goes on....



One thing my sister Claire taught me when I was little was, the first leaf I caught during fall, I should make a wish upon it. I would always wish for something like, I wanna be a great musician! Or, I wish my cold would go away! Something that I thought up on the spot real fast and would forget about fifteen minutes later.

Each year, ridiculous as it is, I try to make a wish on the first leaf I catch. I feel I've learned a lot more in this one year than I have in my whole seventeen years, but this year especially, I went through a lot of growing up. The tricky thing is, is that you never stop learning. At this point in my life, it's about living each day to the fullest, not getting caught up in my future, taking it step by step. I was praying for this especially.


Last week it was sunny and beautiful and the leaves were falling from the trees in a cool autumn breeze. I went for a run and let the wind carry me (it was really windy). I didn't even see it coming. A perfect, yellow, golden leaf, smaller than my hand, not one to be easily caught....it blew right in front of my face and my first instinct was to grasp it and I did! And so of course, I made a wish...my wish to God, my prayer really, was for help and courage to take each day as it comes, for all the things I had been previously praying for.

This past Sunday, my youth pastor had a discussion about prayer. He reminded us that the most important part of praying is listening to God. This really struck me, obvious as it is, but I suddenly realized that when I pray, I do most of the talking. We also read through the Lord's prayer and talked about the meaning of the whole thing...
"Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
 Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
 Give us this day our daily bread.
 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen."

Pastor David made a point that Jesus said, "Give us this day our daily bread." and that he didn't pray also for bread for tomorrow, or the next day, and the future. I quickly saw the importance of concentrating on today and not obsessing so much over the future, or the past. 


Where are all these important life lessons leading?
Back to running...I was on another run today, and this time I was praying and asking God for guidance with  decision issues concerning college and my future and all that wonderful stuff us seniors love so much. I asked Him if He had something He wanted to speak to me, that He would just quiet my mind and help me listen. 30 yards further and another leaf fell right in front of my face, another small, yellow, golden leaf. I was reminded to take it day by day. God is holding my future. Concentrate on glorifying Him today.

This is all very simple Sunday school stuff, but to me it hit me like a news flash. It does each time, actually. He never stops reminding me that His unfailing love is enough, enough to take me through each day and give me joy in this life.

These two pictures below get me in the spirit of fall things, not to mention Halloween which is tomorrow! 
Happy Halloween ya'll!






3 comments:

  1. Oh cate. I needed to hear this today. My prayers have been on and on and I don't know how often I've listened. I need to. I love fall and I love how drastic the change is. It's like a reminder of how God can change things in an instant. I love your insight and your spirit. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post and you are so right. My devotion was on listening to God this week too. It quoted a great saint who said, "All things come to him who knows how to trust and be silent". Thanks for the reminder and I'm proud of the way you see God in every day life. He does speak to you.--Mom

    ReplyDelete